Friday, March 4, 2011

My favorite memory

It is definitely hard to choose just one memory because I have so many wonderful memories that I think about often. However, there is a time in my life that I am forever thankful for and would definitely consider as my favorite memory.

Here is my testimony.

I have grown up going to church, every Sunday. No exceptions. Even though I know it was a struggle getting me there (sorry, Mom and dad) I am SO thankful to my parents for never giving in to the “I don’t wanna gooooo” excuses and making me go to church, and learn about God.

image

When I was in 6th grade I finally started to understand what being a Christian was and actually enjoyed going to church. I remember beginning to feel the power and strength that comes with knowing and loving such an amazing God when I went on an all girl’s retreat one weekend and the speaker was so powerful my heart was just overflowing. When she asked if anyone would like to profess their faith and accept Christ into their life come to the front by the stage and I knew He was calling me to walk up to that stage. I walked to the front, said I want Jesus in my heart, prayed with some wonderful women and then called my parents. It was such a wonderful memory.

A couple weeks later I stood in front of the entire congregation at my church, professed my faith and the pastor dipped me into the water. Although, I probably didn’t fully understand the power of that one dip into the water as much as I do now, I will never forget that moment. I was born a new person, a girl in Christ, that water had washed my sins, and I was saved. Amazing.

This day was also the last time I saw my Nanny (my father’s mother) who I was very close with. She gave me a huge hug, told me she was so proud of me, gave me a gift and then one week later, she peacefully went to Heaven. I’m sure some of you are confused why seeing my Nanny for the last time would be my favorite memory, and even I was confused for a long time why God chose to take her then, but I like to think that He cashed in her ticket to Heaven and He wanted me to have it..  and that is why it is my favorite memory. I learned to not dwell on the fact that she was gone but to be thankful to God. He waited for her to see the most important day of my life before He took her home and let us share that moment together. I will never forget that last hug and her telling me how proud she was. Thank you, God.

I challenge all of you out there to be faithful in God even though we may not always understand His timing or how He has guided where your life may be today. His plan is a perfect plan. Let us all be faithful in that. God is so good.

I’ll leave you with one of my favorite quotes that I read when I need to remind myself to be more faithful.

“To be grateful for the good things that happens in our lives is easy, but to be grateful for all of our lives—the good AS WELL as the bad,

the moments of joy AS WELL as the moments of sorrow,

the successes AS WELL as the failures,

the rewards AS WELL as the rejections

That requires hard spiritual work…Let us not be afraid to look at everything that has brought us to where we are now and where we may be going and know it is all in the guiding hand of a loving God.”

1 comment:

  1. what a great memory :-) definitely an amazing experience and something you can hold dearly to you the rest of your life!

    <3 megan
    http://www.suitcaseandstilettos.com

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly bring me BLISS! Thank you!!